We are a few weeks into 2016 and you are one of 3 types of people.
Person 1: You are on point when it comes to your New Year’s Resolutions. Working out – check. Eating right – check. Happy as a clam with your results – check.
Person 2: Things are going good. You are getting to the gym when you can, food choices are decent and you are feeling 80% happy with where you are at.
Person 3: WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!?!?! Your motivation is at an all time low, you are lucky if you eat one green thing a week (and it is usually the pizza in the fridge that you had to scrape the mold off of) and more times than not, you can’t find your pants.
If you are Person 1 or 2, I secretly want to hit you upside your cheery head with my car keys, but right now I can’t seem to find those either. Seriously, what happened? And I know I am not the only one here so stop judging me. I started 2016 in such a great place.I was so motivated to make this the best year of my life…and I was doing great. Then one day I caught a case of the “meh’s”.I was so motivated to make this the best year of my life. Eating right, exercising, drinking my water, taking my vitamins, getting enough sleep and reaching my goals was my main focus – and I was doing great.
Then one day I caught a case of the “meh’s”. I missed my vitamins for a few days, I was slowly getting a little dehydrated and the thought of going all Beast Mode in the gym seemed like way too big of a task to handle and I couldn’t go to the gym if I wanted because I lost my damn keys.
The only thing I seemed to be overachieving on was my sleep. Score one for me I guess. This is when things got really tough for me. I AM THE MOTIVATOR! I AM THE CHEERY ONE WHO ENCOURAGES YOU TO KEEP GOING! I AM THAT ANNOYING GIRL WHO IS STILL SMILING AND HAVING A BALL AT THE GYM ON MY 10th SET OF A BAGILLION REPS. AM I BEING A LITTLE OVER DRAMATIC HERE WITH THE ALL CAPS SCREAMING? Yes, but I’m mad! Now, with all of that said, it’s not like I haven’t stepped foot in the gym since January 2nd or ate a fruit or a veggie this year. I have been getting in my workouts and eating right (mostly), but that drive hasn’t been there. I’m all “meh” when I should be all “woo-hoo”. So what is my problem? Well, let me break it down for you…
I am my own superhero and I lost my cape.
I can read all of the silly “fitspo” memes in the world saying that “strong is the new skinny” and “the only workout your regret is the one you didn’t do”, but reading a blurb on pinterest really isn’t going to inspire me to go workout. If anything it will inspire me to pin more DIY projects that I will never do. With that said, if I can’t motivate myself to get going, NO ONE ELSE CAN! Many times I think we look to outside sources to give us a swift kick in the butt to get going, but, truth be told, you have to be the one doing the KICKING of the buttocks whilst RECIEVEING it (imagine the flexibility that would take) to really be encouraged to get going. You have to do things for yourself to be truly successful and to be successful you have to do things YOURSELF.
blame it on the rain.
Or the dreary, cloudy, all drab colors everywhere, no sunshine weather we have in the midwest. The days when the sun is out and the freshly fallen snow is glistening on the trees is breathtaking, but those days are few and far between. Most days are cloudy and cold and NO ONE wants to go outside. The lack of sunshine and Vitamin D exposure from the sun that most of us endure during the winter months has a lot to do with our moods. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) effects 20% of Americans each year and the symptoms can range from low grade “ho-hum” to severe depression. And with less sunlight each day, melatonin levels in your body increase causing you to be more tired and serotonin levels (the hormone typically associated with elevating your mood) decrease . So by locking myself up in the house and skipping my vitamins each day, I step myself up for SAD. Disclaimer: for some SAD is not as simple as taking vitamins or getting out in the sun. For some it is a serious disorder and if you feel you may need further help, please contact your doctor for treatment.
failure to plan is planning to fail.
Yes, that is one meme that has inspired me a little only because it is the TRUTH! Planning out meals, workouts, bed times, where to put your car keys when you get in the house are, well, the KEY to success. Winging anything, in most cases, only leads to chaos. If I don’t know exactly what I am going to do once I step foot in the gym, I end up getting bored or distracted and find myself scrolling on Facebook during longer than planned rest periods. I also don’t eat as well as I should when I don’t prep my meals.
how to fix it:
- First off, I am going to make a video of myself to motivate myself to workout. I will do it AFTER I workout to remind myself how great I will feel after I finish my workout so I should just get going. TIP: I also have Athena Pre Workout ready to drink 30 minutes before my gym sesh to help me get jazzed to rock my workout.
- I am going to have a workout plan with mapped out exercises, reps, sets, rest periods and what will be done each day. NO MORE winging it and my workout time will be a no phone zone. Twitterintsybook can wait until AFTER I have went completely HAM in the gym.
- I, Tera Busker, of sound mind and body promise to take my vitamins and drink a gallon or more of water each day. I told my mom this plan and, like a mom does, she now calls me every day to ask if I took my vitamins and drank my water. Thanks mom. (And thanks to the handy dandy Water App that I put on my phone to remind me to drink water so my mom doesn’t have to yell at me again).
- 2 days a week I will meal prep all of my food so it is ready to grab and go when my tummy growls. I’ve been in the habit of doing it before, so I know I can get back into the groove.
TIP: Apollo Protein is my go-to post workout recovery fuel and if I am running short on time (or groceries) an easy way to get protein into any meal. Add in Ooey Gooey Cinnamon Roll Protein into oatmeal , over night oats, or into protein pancakes and your mind will be BLOWN!
- My keys now have a cute little plate they call home when I walk in the house. Now, if only I could find my pants.